Application Deadline: 02 May 2014
The School of English, Communication and Philosophy is offering a number of research bursaries (equivalent to one year’s Home/EU fees) on a competitive basis to students commencing their PhD studies in the School in 2014/5.
The School of English, Communication and Philosophy is a large multi-disciplinary school which has a dynamic and highly successful research culture. Currently there are 126 postgraduate research students in the School. Located in the John Percival Building, the School specialises in distinctive approaches to research in English Language and Communication, English Literature, Critical and Cultural Theory and Philosophy.
In the most recent Research Assessment Exercise, 90% of the School’s research was rated at least of ‘international standard’ with 60% of research in English Literature and Language classed as ‘internationally excellent’ or ‘world-leading’.
The School has a thriving postgraduate community. Training and support are key commitments to help students build success. Our postgraduates play an active role in the numerous reading groups, research seminars, workshops and conferences taking place in the School.
- Be applying for a place on a full-time or part-time PhD programme at the School of English, Communication and Philosophy
- Have submitted your PhD application by Friday 2 May 2014
- Anticipate beginning your studies during the 14/15 academic year; deferral is not possible
- Not be in receipt of a funding award from another source
- Residency Criteria: The awards are open to UK/EU and international students without further restriction. The bursary will cover the first PhD year at the Home/EU rate. Overseas students would be required to cover the difference between Home/EU and International fees themselves.