Deadline: 19 November 2012
Open to: Applicants holding a university degree in communications, journalism, social sciences or a related subject, with six years of relevant professional experience. English and French are required.
Remuneration: 56,091 USD or 60,091 USD (with primary dependents)
The World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) in Geneva, Switzerland, is searching for a media officer to hire for an initial period of two years, renewable, subject to satisfactory performance. WIPO is a specialized agency of the United Nations. It is dedicated to developing a balanced and accessible international intellectual property (IP) system, which rewards creativity, stimulates innovation and contributes to economic development while safeguarding the public interest.
Our mission is the promotion of innovation and creativity for the economic, social and cultural development of all countries through a balanced and effective international IP system.
Under the supervision of the Head of the Section and the general supervision of the Director of the Communications Division, the candidate will have in particular, the following duties:
- draft, research and/or edit press releases, Q & As, talking points, presentations and background briefs, articles and film scripts on diverse intellectual property topics for publication in various outlets (e.g.: business and academic journals, forewords, brochures and exhibition catalogues, etc.) to enhance understanding of intellectual property and WIPO;
- research and draft opinion pieces and secure placement in major media outlets; similarly, create and disseminate content through the WIPO website and appropriate social media;
- develop and maintain effective partnership with media outlets and civil society organizations to promote public awareness of WIPO’s activities and intellectual property; contribute to managing WIPO’s presence on social media platforms (including Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and others). Contribute to blog postings as required;
- prepare responses to press inquiries; foster positive relations with local and international journalists and facilitate their access to relevant information on WIPO’s goals and activities;
- keep abreast of activities/news, as well as of technical and policy developments across the organization; provide editorial support for communication materials produced by technical areas for specific external audiences;
- contribute to the implementation of WIPO’s evolving social media strategy, coordinating with stakeholders across the Organization to ensure its effectiveness and encouraging adoption of relevant social media techniques into the corporate culture; monitor trends in social media tools, trends and applications;
- contribute to the coordination and implementation of special projects, including exhibitions at WIPO, Open Day, visits, etc;
- perform other activities as required.
- Communicating effectively.
- Respecting individual and cultural differences.
- Showing team spirit.
- Managing yourself.
- Producing results.
- Embracing change.
- Respecting ethics and values.
Annual salary: (Net of tax) 56,091 USD or 60,091 USD (with primary dependents) Post adjustment: 92.9 % of the above figure(s). This percentage is to be considered as indicative since variations may occur each month either upwards or downwards due to currency exchange rate fluctuations or inflation. Salaries and allowances are paid in Swiss francs at the official rate of exchange of the United Nations.
Education: University degree in communications, journalism, social sciences or a related subject.
Experience: At least six years of relevant professional experience in journalism, media relations, or public affairs, a broad understanding of intellectual property would be an advantage, and practical experience of using social media to support strategic communications objectives.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent drafting skills in English.
- Ability to present complex issues in succinct and accessible language. Ability to tailor expression and messages for different audiences and media.
- Ability to produce web content from a news perspective.
- Ability to work quickly and accurately under pressure and tight deadlines.
- Good interpersonal and networking skills; able to interact with ease and tact in all situations with contacts at all levels, both within and outside the Organization.
Languages: Excellent knowledge of English and working knowledge of French. Knowledge of other languages would be an advantage.
Incoming search terms:
- jobs in switzerland for pakistani
- wipo pakistan
- jobs media outlets for mba students in pakistan
- pakistan student switzerland
Powered by Facebook Comments
Filed Under: Jobs and Internships