Acumen Pakistan is seeking an experienced Portfolio Manager to help build and manage our world-class investment portfolio of game-changing enterprises in Pakistan that impact the poor.
As the lead Pakistan Portfolio Manager, you will have overall responsibility for the portfolio team based in the Acumen Karachi office. You will lead in the success, development and impact of Pakistan’s portfolio in Financial Services, Housing and Education. As part of your core function, you will provide management support to existing portfolio companies by building relationships, identifying key challenges and mobilizing resources; and grow our portfolio by identifying and developing a strong pipeline of investment opportunities. In addition you will play a critical role shaping Acumen’s portfolio strategy, management process, team and influence in Pakistan. This position reports to the Pakistan Director.
More specifically, you will:
Identify, cultivate and execute a pipeline of fresh investment opportunities providing critical services to the poor
Build an exhaustive network of relationships (including corporate, entrepreneur, NGO, academic, investor, advisory) to identify new pipeline opportunities for Acumen
Develop attractive opportunities by building relationships with promoters; conducting evaluations and analyses; thorough due diligence; and structure and execute investments
Prepare, present, and maintain detailed and compelling investment documentation for Acumen’s Investment Committee, and Board of Directors
- Work on identification and development of promising deal flow (pipeline development)
- Assess opportunities, perform and coordinate due diligence process
- Structure investments in close cooperation with global CIO’s office
- Prepare investment proposals for decision making by Investment Committee
- Actively manage investments (monitor and provide support to investees)
- Represent Acumen on investee companies board meetings and other meetings (as required)
- Report to Country Director on development and performance of Pakistan portfolio
- Manage the Acumen Pakistan portfolio team in Karachi, comprised of sector specific portfolio managers, senior portfolio associates, and associates
- Maintain and expand network of co-investors and other relevant parties and stakeholders
- Contribute to the strategic development of Acumen’s investment portfolio
- Maintain and develop close cooperation with Portfolio Managers in other Regional Offices
- Represent Acumen in the regional impact investment networks and other forums.
Qualifications & Characteristics
Candidates for the Manager role should have a passionate commitment to Acumen’s mission of solving the toughest problems of poverty, a strong entrepreneurial spirit and excellent attention to detail. Strong candidates will have an interest in both private for-profit and not-for-profit opportunities and will bring passion for international development, either through academic study or field experience.
In addition to a minimum bachelor’s (preferably master’s) degree, she or he should also possess:
Ideally be familiar with the social enterprise sector and leadership development programs
Ideal candidates will demonstrate accomplishment through some of the following experiences:
- 5-7 years of principal investing experience, including financial and operational due diligence of private companies. Understanding of early stage businesses and entrepreneurs is a plus.
- 5-7 years of management consulting or operational experience with a proven track record of delivering operational and management support to companies or internal units
- Significant hands on investment management or other relevant experience
- Strong financial (modeling) and business analysis skills
- Excellent intuition for entrepreneurial and social aspects of businesses
- Familiarity and knowledge of investment related legal aspects
- A result-oriented, open and entrepreneurial work attitude
- Demonstrated management skills, with an ability to coach, develop and inspire team members
- Excellent communication and networking skills
- Fluent in English, both orally and in writing
- Affinity with the values and mission of Acumen
- Willingness to travel within the region on a regular basis
Additional characteristics we’re looking for in all roles at Acumen:
Commitment to, and enthusiasm for, the organization’s mission and business model, and respect for our core values: generosity, accountability, humility, audacity, listening, leadership, integrity, respect
Moral Imagination: The humility to see the world as it is, and the audacity to imagine the world as it could be.
It also includes but is not limited to the following:
Displaying high level of empathy in all relationships and encounters
Possessing deep self-awareness and ability to identify own strengths and weaknesses
Actively listening and focusing on hearing what others are saying
Good understanding of financial concepts and our investing model
Solid operational skills including problem solving and project management skills, including ability to work and deliver projects independently, proactively and under pressure
Effectively collaborates with and across teams, seeks and provides constructive feedback
Exceptional relationship and interpersonal skills: courtesy, tact, patience and strong team orientation
Strong communication skills and ability to be a “storyteller” of our work
Ability to thrive when there is ambiguity, remain cool-headed when there are curve balls, and withstand the tests of a rapidly changing environment with resilience and resolve
Curious – always questioning, always probing, and never blindly accepting
A sense of humor (really)
Acumen offers a competitive compensation package commensurate with experience, including full benefits.
Frequent travel will be required within Pakistan.
The deadline for this position is March 31, 2014 at 11:59pm PST
To apply: Click Here