Acumen Pakistan is looking for four Summer Associates in Karachi and Lahore, Pakistan. Our Summer Associates will work closely with our Portfolio and Business Development team members to grow and manage Acumen’s investment portfolio, and fund raising and communications efforts in Pakistan. One Summer Associate will also work with our Global Agriculture Team to coordinate cross-country portfolio activity and support the Global Sector Lead in Agriculture Fundraising. The four positions open are:
- Summer Associate for Portfolio (1 position based in Karachi; 1 position based in Lahore)
- Summer Associate for Business Development and Communications (1 position based in Karachi)
- Summer Associate for Global Agriculture Team (1 position based in Lahore)
Acumen started as an idea. 13 years later we have a proven model that combines the best of charity and investing to change the way the world tackles poverty. Acumen is a non-profit venture fund with a vision to help build a world beyond poverty through investing in companies that deliver critical goods and services in water, health, housing, energy, agriculture, and education; leaders who are paving the way for new approaches to fighting poverty; and the spread of ideas that will give the world the knowledge and the understanding to change how the world tackles poverty. Passion, entrepreneurial spirit and commitment to tackling the issue of global poverty are just a few of the things that the staff at Acumen have in common.
What we aim to accomplish with our work is no easy task, and we need dedicated, high-caliber people to reach our goals. Acumen has invested more than $85 million of patient capital in more than 75 social enterprises in South Asia, East Africa, West Africa and Latin America that have collectively impacted more than 100 million people. We have teams on the ground in India, Pakistan, Kenya, Ghana, Latin America and New York, and we aim to build strong local structures that are deeply interconnected to the global organization through shared goals.
Acumen has been investing in Pakistan since 2002 and established Acumen Pakistan in 2006, incorporated under Section 42 of the Companies Ordinance 1984. We currently have over $13 million in committed investments in Pakistan and an additional $6 million in pipeline investments currently in various stages of due diligence. The office is staffed with a full-time team of professionals from diverse backgrounds including investment banking, venture capital, management consulting, social enterprise, law, and accounting. We have a strong Advisory Board and partner community consisting of senior business leaders. The Pakistan team is supported by Acumen’s global portfolio team as well as business and development professionals in Pakistan who provide investment management advice through the year.
Acumen Pakistan is well-resourced, has a strong foundation, and is ready to take our mission to the next level. Core to our success is the ability to identify, resource, and build a world class portfolio that demonstrates the power of patient capital to solve the problems of poverty in Pakistan and the world more broadly. Equally important is to leverage our experience into insights that compel this ecosystem of funders, operators, and policy makers to catalyze a broader paradigm shift in the battle against poverty.
For Summer Associate for Portfolio positions:
- Identify new pipeline opportunities that meet Acumen investment criteria that Acumen can potentially invest in
- Conduct due diligence – in conjunction with other portfolio team members – on companies with proven or promising approaches to agriculture, health solutions, water & sanitation, and housing in low-income markets in Pakistan
- Prepare detailed investment documentation for Acumen Senior Management, Acumen’s Investment Committee and the Board of Directors
- Work with the Communications teams to derive, analyze, report and share learning’s from portfolio investment and management activities
- Work on finalizing sector strategy reports in collaboration with local and global sector leads
- In addition to supporting the portfolio, overall responsibility would be to contribute to the objectives of Acumen by participating in business development, communications, and leadership activities
For Summer Associate for BD and Communications position:
- Prospect research to support the Business Development and Communications team on local fundraising, as well as attend and support fundraising meetings with him or her
- Maintain fundraising software; pipeline tracking for prospects as well as due partners, entering and managing partner data (including coordinating with the NY team on post-gift administration and documentation), as well as segmenting data & presenting reports on fundraising trends
- Assist in writing an Impact Report on Acumen’s decade-long experience in Pakistan highlighting key challenges and successes.
- Act as local Support contact for +acumen chapters as well as investigate building new chapters in coordination with the Lead Architect of +acumen community, based in NY
- Work closely with the Business Associate in Pakistan and BD Analyst in NY to promote our social media presence (Facebook, Twitter, etc.) in the South Asian and Asia-Pacific regions.
- Write blog posts for the Acumen blog profiling portfolio companies as well as Acumen’s work in the region
For Summer Associate for Global Agriculture Team position:
- Coordinate global Agriculture portfolio work. This would include organizing bi-monthly cross-country Agriculture calls and run analysis on our global Ag portfolio.
- Prospect research to support global Agriculture fundraising. This would include online research and organizing prospect meetings.
- Maintain fundraising software; pipeline tracking for prospects, entering and managing partner data, as well as segmenting data & presenting reports on fundraising trends.
- Assist in developing fundraising proposals and presentations
Desired Qualifications and Experience
- First- year advance degree candidate
- Experience in financial analysis and modelling, particularly in venture capital or private equity (for Portfolio positions only)
- Capability to present investment ideas in memoranda to senior management and advisor (for Portfolio positions only)
- Commitment to Acumen’s mission
- Ability to take initiative with research and analysis
- Capacity to work with teams in different countries/cultures
Additional characteristics we’re looking for in all roles at Acumen:
- Commitment to and enthusiasm for the organization’s mission, business model and respect for our core values: generosity, accountability, humility, audacity, listening, leadership, integrity, respect
- Moral Imagination: The humility to see the world as it is, and the audacity to imagine the world as it could be. It also includes but is not limited to the following:
- Displaying high level of empathy in all relationships and encounters
- Possessing deep self-awareness and ability to identify own strengths and weaknesses
- Actively listening and focusing on hearing what others are saying
- Good understanding of financial concepts and our investing model
- Solid operational skills including problem solving and project management skills, including ability to work and deliver projects independently, proactively and under pressure
- Effectively collaborates with and across teams, seeks and provides constructive feedback
- Exceptional relationship and interpersonal skills: courtesy, tact, patience and strong team orientation
- Strong communication skills and ability to be a “storyteller” of our work
- Ability to thrive when there is ambiguity, remain cool-headed when there are curve balls, and withstand the tests of a rapidly changing environment with resilience and resolve
- Curious – always questioning, always probing, and never blindly accepting
- A sense of humor (really)
The duration is a minimum of 12 weeks and up to 16 weeks
Acumen provides a stipend.
20 April, 2014
Applicants are responsible for covering the cost and for making arrangements for their travel. Acumen Pakistan office will assist the applicants with supporting documentation for the visa application and will cover all domestic work-related travel costs. Applicants must also bring their own laptops.
Acumen Pakistan offices in Lahore and Karachi, Pakistan