Deadline: 31 October (for Spring training period), 31 March (for Autumn training period)
Open to: graduates from EU Member States, Iceland, Montenegro, Serbia, Macedonia, Turkey and non-EU states
Remuneration: a monthly grant of 1,000 EUR and a travel allowance
The Office For Harmonization In The Internal Market (OHIM) is a non-profit-making European agency. Based in Alicante in Spain, the Office’s investment in e-Business tools allows to work with companies from all over the world via the Internet. The mission of the Office is to manage the Community Trade Mark and Community Design registration systems. In order to do so, the Office carries out examination, registration, opposition and cancellation procedures for Community Trade Marks and examination, registration and invalidity procedures for registered Community Designs.
The OHIM organises traineeships for young university graduates, organised in two periods lasting five months each. These traineeships consist of work experience in one of the services of the Office. They commence on 1 February (Spring training period) and 1 September (Autumn training period) of each year. The traineeships aim principally to:
- provide training in industrial property and more specifically in trade mark law;
- extend and apply knowledge acquired in the course of studies or working life;
- enable trainees to acquire personal experience through the contacts they make in their everyday work.
See HERE for a description of posts of the last selection procedure for further information.
The principal areas of the OHIM’s work are as follows:
- industrial property: trade marks; litigation; appeals; designs; international technical cooperation.
- other areas, in particular: finance; information technology.
To be eligible, applicants must:
- be nationals of the Member States of the European Communities and candidate countries (Iceland, Montenegro, Serbia, Macedonia, Turkey). However, a limited number of nationals of third countries (non-EU) may be accepted
- have a recognised university degree, proving completion of a full cycle of study, or in the case of trainees who are at the end of their studies, an official attestation from the university stating the marks obtained;
- have a thorough knowledge of one official language of the European Communities and a satisfactory knowledge of another language of the European Communities; one of these languages must be a language of the OHIM (Spanish, German, English, French, Italian). For applicants from candidate countries and third countries, a good knowledge of only one of the OHIM’s languages is required.
Trainees will be awarded a monthly grant. The amount of the grant is determined by the Traineeships Office on a yearly basis. The current amount of the basic grant is EUR 1,000 per month (as from 01/01/2013). Recruited trainees may receive a travel allowance.
- 31 October (for February training period)
- 31 March (for September training period)
The Office is only able to accept applications made using the online application form AVAILABLE HERE. Enclose scanned copies of university certificates with your application (for applicants who have not yet received their official degree certificate, a statement from their university confirming their degree result is sufficient). Failure to comply with this criterion is the main reason for the rejection of applications. It is important that you specify your preferences with regard to the department to which you wish to be attached. Read Decision ADM-06-26, which contains all the necessary information with regard to traineeships at the Office.
You can contact the Traineeships Office directly at Bureau.Stages@oami.europa.eu. For more information visit the Official Website HERE.